There are five (Daily Five) stations; read to self, read to someone, listen to reading, word work, work on writing. We focus on one station a week in the beginning and create an anchor chart. The big idea is that the kiddos are INDEPENDENT and they have CHOICE! We practice and practice and practice, until they have built up the stamina to be on their own. Then, hopefully, they are on task and I don't have to remind them too much of what they are supposed to be doing.
- Read to Self: Reading a book one of three ways; read the pictures, read the words, retell the story.
- Read to Someone: Sitting in EEKK position (elbow, elbow, knee, knee) and reading a book one of three ways to eachother.
- Listen to Reading: Listening to a book on the computer, on an iPad, on a CD.
- Word Work: Working on high frequency words and alphabet practice.
- Work on Writing: Writing in a journal, completing a prompt, or working on a story from earlier in the day.
Here are some photos of the kindergarteners doing some word work this week.
|Letter tile matching|
|Uppercase magnet letter matching|
|Letter clips on a wheel|