Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Math Tubbing It

One of my goals this summer is to make games for math tubs that will be used during our math intervention time. So far I have made three games and have two of three laminated. I'm hoping to have enough games made so that I can rotate games within the tubs every 1-2 months. I also want them to go with the themes that we will be studying; 5 senses, dinosaurs, ladybugs/insects, gingerbread.

Here are the games/activities I have made so far...

1. Crayon counting and matching
  • There are 20 "crayon boxes" with a number on it. There are also 20 laminated "crayons" with a given number of dot stickers. The kids will match the crayon to the crayon box, e.g. 5 dots to the number.
2. Apples up on top
  • I have made a set of 10 laminated "apples." The goal will be to put the apples in order. I think I'm going to add their pictures at the beginning of the year, so that they can stack the apples on top of their own heads!
3. Bowling Fun
  • I have 4 sets of bowling cards. Each card has 10 bowling pins in the triangle formation with a number on each pin. The kids will draw a bowling ball card, that also has a number, and they will put a marker on the pin if they have a match. This is sort of like BINGO, but with a bowling twist.
So, that's what I've got so far!

Another goal this summer is organizing my reading games. I laminated each folder and made sure that the cards inside were laminated too. Then, I put all of the folders that taught the same or similar skill together in a crate. I think this will really help me during my guided reading time! I can identify the skill I want to work on with my group and find a game quickly AND it will look sooooo good!!!